In giving a client a marketing proposal and strategy to sell or lease a commercial property, a number of things need to be well detailed in the proposal itself. Here are some of the main ones that should never be overlooked in your property proposal.
- Why Should I Use Your Agency? It is an important question and hopefully you have a very clear idea of the advantages you bring to the sale or leasing process. Generic statements like ‘we know the market’, ‘we are the best agent in town’, ‘we have been here for 50 years’, and ‘we will serve you well’, just do not cut it in competitive markets. Consider why your real estate agency can stand clear and separate to other competitive agencies in promoting the property. Make sure that the client knows without any doubt why they should choose you as the agent of choice. Do not base your marketing point of difference on low commissions or agency paid advertising; that just does not work in this market and will put you out of business fast. Your agency must have something that is special and not copied from other agencies; it should also be so unique that you are the first choice as the real estate agent to take on the listing. If you do not have this clear mindset, then welcome to the world of the ordinary real estate agent that has to fight for every listing. Be separate than everyone else, create your point of difference and then market it well.
- Happy Existing Clients & Recent Sales: Evidence of market activity and positive results will always come in handy as you attempt to advise the client on the right strategy to adopt for their property. In this property market with an abundance of available property stock, you should never take on overpriced listings. On average it is better to walk away from them and work with listings that are closer to the market price or rent. Your time is a valuable resource and must be protected from unrealistic vendors. A realistic property owner that works within the property market is far better than a property owner that is trying to set their own property market.
- Prospective Buyer Activity on a Property: Telling the seller or landlord of your current and prospective sources of enquiry is a worthwhile part of your marketing plan. This lets the owner of the property know that you are really on the right ‘wavelength’ when it comes to locating tenants and or buyers. Some agents also adopt the strategy of getting a series of inspections done quickly with potential buyers from their database even at the early listing stage. It is surprising how many listings are sold or rented even before they reach the market officially.
- What is Value? What is a Property really worth? Whilst exact prices and rents are hard to pinpoint, you should have a reasonable idea to within 5% as to what price or rent you could achieve with any given property. If you have no idea of the rent or the price then it is better to put the property to the market on the basis of ‘expressions of interest’. In that way the market will tell you what they think. With some very unique properties this is necessary given the limited pool of buyers that can participate in the purchase.
- Methods of Sale and Timing: The main possibilities when selling a property are usually sale by auction, sale by tender, sale at a price, sale by negotiation, expressions of interest, trade or exchange. Knowing the best one to choose is the key to success. Putting the property on the market at a price is the less successful way of property marketing. The reason for this is the market will judge the property and try to reduce the price; if the property is too highly priced it will ‘kill’ any genuine enquiry before you even hear about it. One other fact needs to be remembered and respected here; a property will become ‘stale’ on the market after about 90 days. If it does not sell by then, it is better to remove it from the listing books for some reasonable time, to freshen the property for the next stage of marketing that you need to go to.
- GANTT Model: For those of you that may not be aware, this is a way of graphically displaying activity. It is a common graphing process. It just so happens that it is a very powerful tool when you put it in a commercial property proposal for sale or lease. The display shows the client exactly what you are going to do for them and when.
- Question and Answer: As part of your property marketing proposal, it is wise to have one or two pages that handle the concerns and questions of the client. From the preliminary meeting with the client you will have ascertained what matters concern them; you can merge these concerns and your answers into a Q&A format within your proposal.
- Executive Summary: Always use an Executive Summary at the front of your document. It should be no longer than 2 pages, and bring all the main points to the front of the proposal. Adults generally do not want to read a lengthy document, so all your great work may largely go unread unless you can get the key points to a place that interests the client to read further.
- An Exclusive Selling Agency Agreement: Why should you do one? The obvious answer is that you can best serve the listing and the client; you can also control the competition agents that may be chasing the same property. Open listings are not desirable and are essentially a waste of time unless you specifically have a purchaser that is a strong contender to take the property immediately. Occasionally I come across an agency that has a business approach of listing everything they can regardless of agency type; whilst this method can work, it does require you to have a very large number of listings and plenty of signs on properties. In only that way will you get the enquiry and conversion numbers that you need for KPI’s on commissions.
- What are the advantages to a Vendor in having only one Agent when selling a Property? Tell the client why one agent is the best way to go. Multiple agencies working on the one property do not allow focused communication of offers and marketing coordination. Tell the client how you will connect with them on marketing, negotiation, due diligence, and property settlement.
- Advertising: Yes advertising is expensive and it is still necessary, although you can be selective. You need to get the property message out to the market in the most efficient and direct way. How you do that is really property specific, although the conventional processes of newspaper marketing (expensive) are becoming less necessary. The internet is taking over as the main advertising channel in commercial real estate sales and leasing, and offers your client far better and cheaper ways of putting the property to the market. A key strategy for property marketing is to create 3 different levels of marketing for the client to consider (gold, silver, and bronze), as it gives them the feeling of control when it comes to spending on vendor paid advertising.
So these key points should be well handled in your property proposal. When you get the points clearly set out, the client knows what you can do and why they should choose you as the property agent of choice.
The Rhino Outdoor International, Inc. (ROI), a leading outdoor activity based business, including Rhino Off-Road Industries, Inc., its entirely owned subsidiary, earlier announced that the company has formed a strategic alliance with the Arizona Emergency Products (AEP), a famous provider of emergency equipment to government agencies.
The alliance is aimed at designing and producing a specialized Rhino Off-Road Industries RTV to meet the unique needs of first response and search and rescue groups. The “Rapid Response” Rough Terrain Vehicle (RTV) is inspired by the innovative Rhino Off-Road Industries RTV design platform, which is now being produced for both the competitive and recreational off-road marketplace.
In producing the RTV, refinements were entertained to enhance the capabilities of the vehicle for the first response activities in rugged off-road terrains that are inaccessible at present to most vehicles. The main design considerations include increasing the wheelbase to accommodate extra passengers and equipment.
Other considerations include expanding the battery capacity so as to support communications and lighting, creating space to allow for emergency equipment accessories like tool boxes, winches, medical equipment and poly-tanks for fire retardants. These retardants can be refilled by a helicopter.
The AEP is known in the manufacture of vehicles for law enforcement, Homeland Security, fire departments and search and rescue organizations. “The Rhino Off-Road RTV is unlike any other vehicle now in use by the emergency response industry,” said Mike Chamberlain, the owner of Arizona Emergency Products. “It’s designed to go anywhere – and when outfitted to meet the needs of firefighters, police, border patrol, and others – it will allow for rapid response access to areas previously only accessible by horse, foot or helicopter.”
In the past couple of months, the AEP has field-tested the Rhino Off-Road RTV with its customers. This is done to get feedback from them. “Without exception, the response has been very positive”, continued Chamberlain, “everyone who has seen the RTV in action has requested a follow-up demonstration of the prototype and is interested in placing an order.”
ROI and AEP are sharing the cost of development for the prototype version of the RTV. The final design of the RTV is expected to be completed in a matter of 90 days. ROI will be the one to deliver the vehicle. AEP, on the other hand, will install the necessary accessories to meet the needs of emergency response groups. The vehicle will also be given a simple manual which could be likened to Nissan repair manuals.
“Mike Chamberlain and AEP have brought a tremendous amount of expertise to the design table,” said Howard Pearl, the CEO and the President of ROI. “We created the RTV to go just about anywhere. The fundamental design platform is ideal for first responders needing access to backcountry and off-road terrains.”
He added, “The strategic alliance with AEP allows us to learn directly from professionals in emergency response who use this vehicle in search and rescue and rapid response situations. ROI and AEP are creating a specialized RTV that will carry emergency personnel and equipment to and from the most remote locations. This is a fantastic application for the RTV and is a growing, untapped market. You can’t imagine how excited we are to be making a contribution in this important market space – this is the type of opportunity for growth we are constantly seeking.”
Travel nurses are healthcare professionals such as registered nurses or therapists who travel to various locations to work for certain portions of the year. They usually work up to four travel jobs per year. A travel nurse can work in any region in the United States and many International regions. Most nurses secure a career through a reputable travel staffing agency.
A career as a travel nurse can be personally and financially rewarding. Most people who have this experienced in life say it is an exciting profession and a great way to earn a living. This professional will enjoy living in new and exciting locations, reside in wonderful accommodations, and work in excellent hospitals. Other benefits include:
Travel Assistance: Most reputable agencies will arrange such travel details as directions and maps. They should also have a 24-hour emergency hotline.
Great Pay: While on assignment, these nurses are offered comprehensive packages consisting of excellent pay with many benefits and bonuses. Annual earnings for an RN travel nursing jobs can be as high as $110,000.
Your Facility Choice: Most agencies have available jobs in all 50 states and at the highest ranking hospitals.
Free Private Housing: Housing accommodations are selected by agencies for their excellent services and amenities that may include spas, swimming pools, and fitness centers.
Flexible Work Schedule: Many nurses choose this career because the stress of a traditional hospital can be the result of long hours and increased physical demands. They have more flexible work schedules. It is often much easier to plan for special engagements and vacations
Free Health and Dental Insurance: Travel nursing agencies offer many free comprehensive health plans to meet all their client’s needs. Dependents can also be covered at a nominal cost. They can also receive supplemental insurance that provides income if they are unable to work as a result of a non-work-related illness. As well, professional liability insurance should be offered at no extra cost.
Work Protection Plan: A work protection program should be offered by a reputable agency because it ensures that if a shift is cancelled, you will still be paid.
Travel Expenses Reimbursement: Most agencies will provide travel allowance to nurses. Travel allowance may be given before you depart or as a reimbursement after you arrive.
Tax Advantage Plans: Tax laws allow full-time travel nurses to receive non-taxable credit for meals.
Licensure Reimbursement: Agencies will reimburse nurses for their State Nursing Licensure fees for every travel assignment. They will also help them acquire a State Nursing License.
Auto Club Membership: Agencies offer a discount or free membership to an auto club. They will have access to roadside assistance, hotel discounts, rental cars, free trip routing with detailed directions and maps, emergency check cashing, and no fee travelers checks.
401(k) Plan: Enrollment in a retirement 401(k) plan where a portion of their earnings will go into a retirement savings plan.
Free Course Upgrades: Many agencies will provide free education courses so nurses can keep up with new technology and education.
Referral Bonuses:Agencies will give bonuses to travel nurses who recruit other health professionals into their program.
While the pay and bonuses of a career in travel nursing are very rewarding, these positions are highly sought after. It is important that you keep up with modern education and experience. There are hundreds of agencies that specialize in placing travel nurses. Registering with several agencies will increase your assignment choices. With the right planning and knowledge, you will discover great joy with a career.
You could rarely find and buy individual health plans that also cover dental hygiene. There is useful information that people should know particularly if they consider buying the policies separately.
It is estimated that about 45 million Americans currently don’t own any dental insurance policy. Most non-elderly citizens who own individual health plans also own dental hygiene policies. However, majority of people who buy health insurance plans by themselves do not have dental insurance. This data is based on a report released by Centers for Disease Manage and Prevention.
While individual health plans cover several added services like basic emergency care in addition to costs of prescription drugs, they logically are not necessary to include coverage for adult oral care. Nevertheless, for health insurance policies for children, dental services are needed.
In March 2010, reforms to the healthcare insurance coverage were set. However, despite the push exerted through many advocates, that bill did not include the wider dental component. Supporters and proponents of the reform argued that each health plans already cover costs for other pressing health problems like diabetes and heart diseases.
About 75% of 172 million Americans under age 65 years (who own private health insurance plans) have dental insurance plans as well. Their employers mostly supply the health insurances. Among those with separate dental protection, more than a quarter of them have comprehensive plans with dental insurance while one fourth have stand-alone plans. Some have both.
About 90 million Americans own individual health plans through Medicaid and Medicare insurance, which both do not offer dental care programs for adults. There is no figure available regarding public health insurance plans. Medicaid shoulders dental take care of people under 21 years old. The insurer currently serves up to 45 million people of the low-income group. However, such patients complain about troubles to find accredited dentists.
A separate government-sponsored program provides dental hygiene, albeit limited. It is the Children’s Health Insurance coverage Program. As for the older people, they could always choose to purchase separate dental care policies from health insurance companies.
Do you look for health insurers that also offer dental hygiene plans? Data from the Association for Health Insurance Plans reveal that we now have only a few insurers that do so. Individuals include Cigna Corp, Aetna Inc, Assurant Inc, Humana Inc, as well as UnitedHealth Group Inc. The association represents up to 80 of overall dental insurance plans in america. There are also health insurance plans that offer dental coverage included in health policies. They include several and specific programs from MetLife, Principal Financial Group Inc, and Azure Cross Blue Shield Association.
Experts advise people to purchase dental care insurance policies even if they currently own individual healthcare plans. Purchasing separate plans is more advisable especially because it might be very hard, if not impossible, to find and purchase health insurance policies that also include dental protection.
A nursing career can be very rewarding. There are some definite advantages of choosing this particular career path. If you decide that this is the option to you than the first step to take will be to look at the requirements for the state in which you live. A general associates or bachelors degree will most likely be sufficient, but for certain specialties a more advanced degree may be necessary.
The different shift patterns that you will follow working as a nurse will certainly give you a lot of flexibility within the role. You will not be working a standard 9-to-5 because health care is something that is required at all times of the day and night. This means that you can really work shifts around your personal lifestyle and will have much more flexibility with the hours that you operate.
Of course, another of the major benefits associated with a nursing career is the fact that you will always have job security. Nurses are always going to be required, the matter what the state of the economy is in. While other parts of the workforce may become constricted, nurses are always going to be needed and therefore you should always be able to find work.
Most jobs within this field also come with a decent pay and benefits package. The pay is sufficient for any nurse to live a comfortable lifestyle and at the same time benefits will include a retirement plan, health insurance and other insurance coverage, and paid vacations.
Of course, one of the most obvious reasons for anyone to pursue this career path is because you will be helping people. Nurses generally have a maternal instinct and an instinct to help people, especially those in distress. Helping people get through their health problems certainly adds value to your own life.
Furthermore, if you have a passion for travel and you would like to experience some different places, cultures, and people, then you could become a travel nurse. As a travel nurse you will work different assignments in different areas around the country and the world, and there will be opportunities available in any specialty.
All in all, a nursing career provides a great deal of advantage and benefit to anyone who displays an unselfish nature. If you want to help people and, as a side product, get paid well for doing so, becoming a nurse would certainly be a good career choice.
If you are planning to take a vacation in the near future then you might want to consider driving down to the destination of your choice instead of having to spend a lot of money on air fare and other travel options. Driving down gives you a slight modicum of control over your travel plans. You can leave anytime you want to without having to keep to a specific schedule. You save money because the amount of money you spend on renting the car and on the fuel can be shared by all the people who are travelling with you. And, you don’t have to worry about ticket availability during peak season travel.
Renting a car can be a very simple process. All you need to really figure out is how many people will be travelling so that you can get a car that can seat everyone together and also accommodate the luggage that you will be carrying. Once you have this information and a certain budget thought out you can visit the local rental companies and ask around about the various vehicles they have as well as the fee that each charges. If you really want to enjoy you travel as much as your destination then you can opt for a large variety of RVs.
Comparing and contrasting the various quotes from different companies can allow you to make the most savings. If you decide to travel on weekdays and days that are not holiday dates then the prices can be desirably low. you can even get discount coupons and vouchers from printed media or off the internet to help you save a tidy sum that can be put towards activities when you reach your destination!
You may say that the commercial real estate sales and leasing market is difficult at the moment. You will not be the first agent or investor to observe that fact. This is however a major opportunity market with properties adjusting to the beginning of a new property cycle.
You are at the beginning of new opportunity. Tenants, buyers, and sellers are still out there. It’s just that their sales, purchase, and rental strategy has needed to shift. So if you are a commercial real estate agent that works on retail, office, or industrial property, we are going to let you in on a major marketing secret that works tremendously well to generate listing opportunity in this economy and investment property shift.
Moving Your Business Forward?
So how do you move forward in this market to create real opportunity? You create a significant pipeline of opportunity from speaking to many people and helping them with the market adjustment process. This means that the help they require may be a listing or property this year, next year, or the year after, however they will need well qualified and experienced property professionals.
You must be that solution for them. You must be confident in this market. You should use a marketing point of difference and most particularly your ‘toolbox’ to attract and convert the clients that you need.
Sales and Leasing Together
In this market the best commercial real estate agencies specialise in both investment property sales and investment property leasing. In those specialist categories they can bring significant strategy and understanding to the property, together with a ‘toolbox’ approach for the customers and clients.
A great lease will one day support a great property sale. This means that every lease should be planned and structured to optimise the situation for the property owner. This is where ‘toolbox’ stands head and shoulders above generic marketing of commercial real estate services.
Solicitors Awareness of Property
Whilst talking about leases I would like to make an important and relevant observation. In doing so I do not want to upset the solicitors and legal people of the ‘property investment world’ however the following is a real fact.
Most solicitors and legal people that do the lease documents for the investment property owner have little awareness of the actual property in question and probably have not even inspected the property.
My apologies to the legal people that are the exception to the rule!
This random process of lease preparation is not good investment practice, considering that the property lease is to produce a cash flow over a number of years. Solicitors and property agents need to get together and make sure that all the elements of the property that enhance cash flow are well considered and placed in the property lease before it is signed!
In only this way can they bring real strategy and stability to the occupancy and cash flow!
What’s Your Agency Point of Difference Today?
Only yesterday I was speaking to a real estate agency that was working on identifying a point of difference in this market. They realized that the competition agencies they were up against in the market place were doing nothing special to attract and retain new business.
Those competition agencies were simply continuing the same practices of prospecting and conversion that they have been doing for years. They were not offering any new approach or support process to the clients in the market today.
Let’s face the facts. This market today requires experienced real estate agents that can bring solid levels of property strategy to the investor including:
- Rental strategies for the long term that match the lifecycle needs of the property owner
- Lease documentation which minimises cash flow and vacancy exposure
- Strength of tenancy profile that gives an element of prestige to the building
- Tenants that bring financial strength and stability to the building
- Lease deals that will enhance the opportunity of sale when the time comes
- A balance of net and gross rentals to optimise the best return on investment for the property owner
- Well controlled building operating costs that are contained within the averages of that property type for the area
- An occupancy experience in the property which strengthens the relationships between landlords and tenants
- A target market of tenants that are clearly identified and pursued in the marketing campaign.
So this list is in fact the elements of a ‘Lease ‘toolbox” approach to the market. Many commercial real estate agents will generally say that they do these things anyway. The reality is they do not. Most lease transactions today are undertaken in a ‘one off mindset’ with little balance to the long-term future and strength of the building.
In recent seminar workshop I asked the agency staff in a larger industrial agency to tell me what they would do for ‘me acting as the client’ in a lease transaction of a vacant space in a sample building. Many of the agency staff gave me a broad variety of initiatives and processes that were fairly standard in the industry. It was interesting to note that all of these ideas were not ‘bundled and packaged’ into something that was even remotely attractive to the ‘me’ as the property owner.
Let’s understand a simple fact. If you do not logically document and display for the client the stages of your professional commercial real estate property service and give it a name that the can client relate to, you are affectively a generic marketer. This is the major problem in the industry today. The client needs specific help and you must market your services in a ‘toolbox’ approach. Give your ‘toolbox’ a name and then market your business around it.
I also recommend that you use the advantages of PERT and GANTT models to do this ‘toolbox’, given that this great illustration approach really interests most clients. This helps you stand apart from the competition. You become the agency of choice.
‘Toolbox’ is Your Tactical Advantage
Every sales and leasing program should be subjected to the processes of the ‘toolbox’ so that the client knows that the best results, controls, and outcomes are seen to be achievable. The ‘toolbox’ process also suggests that you have a quality control procedure that every property is exposed to.
This ‘toolbox’ is simple marketing; however it can be easily implemented into your agency business making you more professional and desirable as the commercial real estate agency of choice in your region. Your ‘toolbox’ becomes your marketable point of difference. You should have a separate ‘toolbox’ for:
- Commercial real estate sales
- Commercial real estate leasing
- Commercial real estate property management
Within each of these elements of service you should have a specific ‘toolbox’ which supports the property disciplines of:
- Retail Property
- Office Property
- Industrial property
- Specialist tourism and leisure
Listing Strategy in this Market
Let’s talk about the sales ‘toolbox’ now for a brief moment. In most cases the time needed to sell or rent a listing would be no longer than 12 weeks even in a tough market. After that time a listing becomes stale and a waste of your time. Choose your listings and the time on market with care.
A couple of essential rules need to be set here and incorporated into your sales ‘toolbox’. They are:
- Always seek vendor paid advertising – you are not the source of advertising funds to promote property no matter how good you think the property is. Vendor paid advertising sets the foundation of vendor commitment.
- Always seek exclusive or sole listings when you can
– controlled stock is the only way to go. A seller of an open listing cannot be trusted and is likely to ‘shift in the wind’ on who they deal with. It should also be noted that exclusive listings are much more desirable than sole agency listings. It is your choice as to whether you would take on a sole agency.
- Always seek to list properties for sale on the basis of a ‘time driven’ method of sale such as tender, auction, or expression of interest. This is the best way to go to get and sustain momentum in the property promotion. Properties that are listed for sale at a fixed or nominated price are likely to be this undesirable hard to sell listings or over priced listings with little momentum. In such situations a buyer will make an offer; maybe that works for you; maybe it doesn’t.
These 3 rules above infer that you are the driving force that creates the quality listing. Nothing could truer. You drive the quality of the listing appointment that you want. If you let the owner of the property dictate the rules of engagement, you are likely to suffer poor results. Remember that you are the expert consultant to help people with commercial real estate needs; you are not the agent that lists everything and anything that comes your way at any price or rental.
In closing this ‘toolbox’ topic, here are some important rules:
- In every listing know what you are doing and why.
- Focus on the outcome that you want for the client.
- Use your ‘toolbox’ as your point of difference to attract the client’s interests.
- Understand that your time and expertise is precious.
I know that you can relate when I say that I love to get a good deal on something. It shouldn’t take a lot of explaining why car rental deals are some of the most important things that you can partake in when shopping for a rental car. Some people will go to great lengths to find the best car rental deals that they can while others will be more willing to pay the advertised normal price. But did you know that you can just type in the name of the company you are looking for followed by the word coupon and you can find a better price. That is just one of the ways that you can get easy and cheap car rental deals.
There are many other techniques that one can use to get good car rental deals, one little known fact is just ask the company what deals they are offering at the time. A lot of agencies will have a special if you are willing to rent the car for a week, or if you are only going to have it for the weekend. Prices can vary and change depending upon the holiday season or during peak times in the summer, one can really never know how much it is going to cost to rent a car but you can also try to get the best car rental deals.
Don’t get discouraged when one company offers you a high price for a car, there are always more options than you could believe when you look for that perfect rental car for you. You also have to make a choice between two different options, let’s say for example you are on a very tight budget and you just want get the cheapest car possible than you may want to rent an economy style car and try to get the best possible deal on it, but on the other hand you also have the option of getting car rental deals in another way. You could go to an agency and request for a luxury vehicle at the price of a budget or hybrid style vehicle. You would be surprised at how many companies or agencies would be willing to make this switch simply if you ask. They may be having a special and would never have told you about it if you didn’t ask, who would have guessed?
Regardless of what deals or techniques you go after everyone and their moms love good deals so don’t let yourself charge full price for anything that you can get at a discount! I know you would rather have a luxury car instead of a budget car and drive in style, or maybe you just want to get a budget style car even cheaper than they say it is. The most important thing to learn is don’t be afraid to ask, there are many options out there when dealing with rental car deals!
Car rental rates are obviously dependent on which dealership you opt for and how long you need the vehicle for. To get the best car rental rates you must be certain of the period in which you are going to require the vehicle for. For example, you would not want to rent a car for 3 days, to find out you need it for an additional 3 days this is where dealerships will charge for days the vehicle is required for, at their daily rate; savings are to be made when you book for a week if there is any chance of requiring the vehicle for longer. Agencies operate on weekly and daily rates; it always pays to look into the weekly rate as this is usually lower than a per day rate.
If you want to find the best car rental rates you must shop around. Car rental rates are constantly changing due to supply and demand and obviously change in line with the season. You will need to book far in advance should you want a rental car over any holiday period. Make sure you enquire about special holiday rates as some rental agents will give away a day extra for free over these periods. Make sure you are certain of you required dates over these periods as agencies cancellations over these periods will incur large fees.
To find the best car rental rates when it comes to long distance trips, it pays to book well in advance and ask your travel agent of any deals that are not publicly advertised. If you are planning a road trip to Las Vegas for tonight, you’ll have wanted to have booked at least a week ago to get the best rates and avoid disappointment. Remember that reservation only guarantees a reserved rate, you must specify if you are after a specific vehicle.
If you think the weekend car rental rates you are getting are too good to be true, then they probably are. You will want to ask for any hidden costs, such as insurance, state taxes, varying fees for drivers of different ages and refueling charges. Ask your rental agent of any compulsory insurance fees, as these hidden costs are generally what makes the advertised costs so well, read the disclaimer! Some states in America give rental car agents permission to charge extra fees on their rentals to cover the costs of licensing their cars. This is fee is generally 6% of the total rental costs. The majority of states in America do not require rental agents to inform the customer of this fee, so make sure you ask before hiring.
To get the cheapest, most value for money rental car rates you will need to shop around, be sure of the duration you require the vehicle for, make sure you ask about any hidden fees and always book well in advance.